Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Another year has gone by...

Today marks the third anniversary of Jolene's passing away. I have many feelings and thoughts as I reflect on what transpired that day.
First and foremost I still miss her terribly, and I don't' think that will change. When you love someone that intensely for all your life, it truly leaves an impression on your soul. I miss so many things, of course the big things, but mainly the sweet and simple things that made up our relationship.
I loved how Jo was my personal cheerleader, and always trying to pick me up when I felt knocked down in some way. I miss her infectious laugh that was loud and obnoxious, yet Jolene never cared if people would stare! She never let others dictate her happiness and how she expressed it. I miss how when she would hug me she would bury her head into my neck and blow, and then say "I see ya!" in a very sensual voice. She loved to make me uncomfortable! I miss how she would dance in any public place like Walmart or Deseret Book, and I am not talking silly dancing, I mean full on body bustin moves (any one who knew her knows that girl could dance)! Most of all I miss her telling me she loved me out of the blue, even when the moment didn't fit. She said it when she felt it, and didn't waste a moment wondering if it would be awkward saying it then.

This is definitely the hardest day of the year for me. It takes me back so vividly to three years ago when I felt her spirit slip from her tired body. One moment from that day that especially stands out to me is when we finally left the hospital after she had passed. We walked out of the hospital into the outside world, and I saw people walking and talking with one another, people driving, and walking right past me, and I remember being dumbfounded that the world continued on, that time hadn't stopped. It was unthinkable to me that no one had any idea I had just lost my little sister, and that my life would never quite be the same. It also occurred to me, how many times had I walked past someone after they had a life shattering moment. It was such and interesting moment, and until you go through it I think it is hard to imagine such unusual feelings.
My heart doesn't feel only pain and sorrow on this day, yet, it feels a high degree of thankfulness. I am so thankful to know through the gospel of Jesus Christ, that I will be reunited with her again one day. I am beyond grateful that she no longer is in pain and struggling to breathe. Also, I am very thankful for family and friends that have supported and shown me love during these trying years. My greatest source of strength is the Savior. I truly would be lost without Him. Through his atoning sacrifice he not only paid the price of my sins, but he took upon him my sorrows, in such that He might empathize with me during my darkest hours. After Jolene left this life I have felt my Saviors love for me when I felt lost. There were times during this grieving process, that I felt He was literally carrying me spiritually, when I could no longer.
Jolene, my sweet baby sister, you are a complete inspiration to me, not because you suffered, but how through the suffering you still looked for the beautiful things in life. I never once heard you ask Heavenly Father why you had been asked to carry such a burden, but I did hear you pray for how intensely you loved your Father in Heaven. I know that He has a plan for you, and I know He has one for me too. I know we are not forgotten by Him, and that Heavenly Fathers plan is perfect, we just can't see it from His exalted and perfect perspective. I trust in Him emphatically, and know that at times this road will be painful, but with the Savior on my side, I can overcome anything. I love you Jo-Jo, and hope to see you in my dreams.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: sisters1
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

11 comments:

teage-and-erin said...

We love you all! Jolene, we know that you continue to be an inspiration to many, including us. Thank you for being so many people's angel. We love you!

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

thanks for the beautiful tribute. I remember something that your Grandpa Beagley told me 32 years when your mom and dad drove off into the night for San Diego. I was distraught at her leaving. My Dad hugged me and said, "I can't be your sister... but I can be your friend."

That's how I feel about you. No one would ever dare to try to replace your adoring Jolene. But I can be your friend and your admirer.

Thank you for all you do for the family. I love you more than words can express.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful set of sisters - and I know something about wonderful sisters. You guys are an incredible duo. You always were and you always will be.

We love you so much.

Aunt Anne

Rebecca and Nathan said...

Karine,
That slide show was beautiful. I love and miss her every day and I can only imagine how much you miss her. I hope that even though this time of year is hard you know that people are thinking of you.
I hope all is well.
Love
Rebecca

Mugs said...

Karine, this was such a beautiful post. I sure miss that Jolene. The other day our Sunday School teacher asked us to think of someone we have know in our lives today who would fit the adjective "Valiant". Your sister was foremost in my mind. I think about her in quiet moments, and then at totally odd times like in the grocery store, or while I'm folding clothes! She has left footprints all over the place. That last photo of the two of you is so touching. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos. Camille

Janell said...

Your posts always bring out the extreme emotions in me...I'm either laughing hysterically or crying hysterically. Either way, I'm crying. I've decided that before I can dive into another post of your that I have to have a box of kleenex near by. Wow, Karine. I'm speechless. You have such an amazing relationship with your sister. I really wish I could have had the opportunity to know her. I feel like I do in a weird way because all the qualities you describe in her are one's that you possess. I'm so sorry this is a tough time for you. I know you miss her all year long...everyday but an anniversary of her passing makes it especially difficult. Please call me anytime day or night...you know I'm always happy to either talk with or listen to you. I love and miss you!

Sarady said...

Jolene truly is amazing. Even after three years, her presence is still felt so strongly, and her life has left a mark on everyone who knew her. Her testimony of the Savior was one of the strongest I've ever known.

I'll never forget the first time I actually met her. Brady, Hayley, Maleah and I went to visit her at the hospital in Seattle. She left such an impression that I went home and wrote about her in my journal that same night after we got home (at like 4 am). Her laugh and charisma touched me immediately.

Karine, I am so thankful for you and your amazing family. Each and every one of you Armstrongs have touched my life in ways that only Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ could have orchestrated.

I know if Jolene could tell the world, she would say all of the same things about you and what a wonderful, loving sister you are. You two seemed to have such a heavenly bond. Thank you for sharing such beautiful memories, and even heartbreaking ones.

And thanks for making me cry this morning!

Love you!
Sarah

Derek and Emily said...

This is a beautiful tribute! It brought tears to my eyes.

The Beagleys said...

Love you Karine! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and that beautiful slideshow! Although, I don't get to see you nearly enough, I think about you quite often and my heart goes out to you! Once you lose someone in this life, you NEVER stop missing them and I'm sorry that you have that pain in your life, sweety! Like you said, though, we have the wonderful knowledge that we will be with our loved ones again! Thanks again for your post! Love you lots!!!

Mel

Chelsey said...

Beautiful in word Beautiful in pictures. Beautiful! Love you all!

Hayley's Comment said...

she is always missed. you are a great big sister!