On Memorial Day Madison was playing over at the neighbors, and my dear inquisitive (that's a nice way to say disobedient) daughter decided to get into a kennel of puppies that she knew was off limits. She was playing with one of the puppies when it let out a yelp, and the mommy dog attacked Madison to try and protect her puppies. Madison started to scream hysterically and try to get away. Thankfully, her friends helped to get her away from the dog.
I was inside making dinner when I heard her screaming, and I ran out to find her face covered in blood, and her dress torn to pieces. I almost lost it when I saw her, but Corey just looked at me and said "don't freak her out, we have to be calm for her." I knew I had to be strong for Maddie, even though I felt like going to lose it. Corey and I rushed her to ER, and they got us right back to a room.
Madison was really scared and just kept crying these huge crocodile tears. Corey gave her a blessing right away to help her, and Madison asked if I would say a prayer for her. After I finished praying she said, "I want Heavenly Father and Jesus here with me to hold me." I told her that they were with her, but she couldn't see them. I also told her her Auntie Jo-Jo was with her. Maddie told me "I can't see them but I can feel them in my heart. My heart feels warm and tingly, I know they are with me." It was such a spiritual moment for us.
Madison had to ask the doctors and nurses everything they were doing. They couldn't even wash their hands without her asking "what are you doing now?" They discovered that there were only 2 cuts, one under her eye, and the other on her cheek. Her cheek was missing some tissue, so the Doctor was worried it might scar. He said not to worry that plastic surgeons can do amazing things. In my mind i was thinking"plastic surgeon!! she is 4 years old!!"
Since her cut was so close to her eye, and they needed her to be completely still (something I haven't witnessed Maddie do since birth) the doctor decided to put her under with conscious sedation. When they put in her IV she insisted on watching the entire process. The nurse told her to look away, but Madison informed her that she was interested in what they were doing to her body. She also told them that she is going to be a doctor when she grows up, and so she needed to watch everything they did very carefully so that she can remember how to do it when she is a Doctor.
They let me stay in the room when the started to work on Madison. It was horrible to see my sweet little girl, covered in blood and having a room full of specialist help her. At first their dose to keep her under wasn't enough, and she was thrashing around on the table moaning. The doctor turned to me and said, " don't be alarmed she won't remember any of this, and we will give her another dose to knock her out further. I don't know why the Dr. was worried about me, I was very calmly rocking in my chair with my hands over my ears humming the star spangled banner. I truly was the epitome of a strong mother!
When they were finished stitching and cleaning her up, Madison woke up, and made a general announcement too all in the room. She said "Doctors, thank you for all your hard work. I feel so much better and I am not scared anymore. I went into a deep sleep, and you did such a good job on my face." Some of the people looked flabbergasted at this declaration, a few laughed, but everyone was in awe. That's my Maddie for you!
It has been a little over a week, and Maddie is healing beautifully. She had her stitches come out and it looks like she will only have a small scar on her cheek. She is going to see a plastic surgeon in a month to give us their opinion on if anything will ever need to be done.
Looks are truly the most important thing, and I am going to have my daughter look perfect. If that means she will have to have a face lift at 5, then so be it, even if that results in her looking like Joan Rivers. I am going to have my daughter in every creepy pageant contest there is, and I am going to have her dressed like a life-sized southern bell, with a fake tan, layers of unnatural make up, and porcelain verniers. I will spend every penny I own to fund this, in hopes that someday Maddie will be Miss Penitentiary. I know this will be a great bonding experience for us, as we compete against other girls, who are not as beautiful as my daughter. I know that it is harmless and only good clean fun. May the most gorgeous girl win (aka Maddie).
I was inside making dinner when I heard her screaming, and I ran out to find her face covered in blood, and her dress torn to pieces. I almost lost it when I saw her, but Corey just looked at me and said "don't freak her out, we have to be calm for her." I knew I had to be strong for Maddie, even though I felt like going to lose it. Corey and I rushed her to ER, and they got us right back to a room.
Madison was really scared and just kept crying these huge crocodile tears. Corey gave her a blessing right away to help her, and Madison asked if I would say a prayer for her. After I finished praying she said, "I want Heavenly Father and Jesus here with me to hold me." I told her that they were with her, but she couldn't see them. I also told her her Auntie Jo-Jo was with her. Maddie told me "I can't see them but I can feel them in my heart. My heart feels warm and tingly, I know they are with me." It was such a spiritual moment for us.
Madison had to ask the doctors and nurses everything they were doing. They couldn't even wash their hands without her asking "what are you doing now?" They discovered that there were only 2 cuts, one under her eye, and the other on her cheek. Her cheek was missing some tissue, so the Doctor was worried it might scar. He said not to worry that plastic surgeons can do amazing things. In my mind i was thinking"plastic surgeon!! she is 4 years old!!"
Since her cut was so close to her eye, and they needed her to be completely still (something I haven't witnessed Maddie do since birth) the doctor decided to put her under with conscious sedation. When they put in her IV she insisted on watching the entire process. The nurse told her to look away, but Madison informed her that she was interested in what they were doing to her body. She also told them that she is going to be a doctor when she grows up, and so she needed to watch everything they did very carefully so that she can remember how to do it when she is a Doctor.
They let me stay in the room when the started to work on Madison. It was horrible to see my sweet little girl, covered in blood and having a room full of specialist help her. At first their dose to keep her under wasn't enough, and she was thrashing around on the table moaning. The doctor turned to me and said, " don't be alarmed she won't remember any of this, and we will give her another dose to knock her out further. I don't know why the Dr. was worried about me, I was very calmly rocking in my chair with my hands over my ears humming the star spangled banner. I truly was the epitome of a strong mother!
When they were finished stitching and cleaning her up, Madison woke up, and made a general announcement too all in the room. She said "Doctors, thank you for all your hard work. I feel so much better and I am not scared anymore. I went into a deep sleep, and you did such a good job on my face." Some of the people looked flabbergasted at this declaration, a few laughed, but everyone was in awe. That's my Maddie for you!
It has been a little over a week, and Maddie is healing beautifully. She had her stitches come out and it looks like she will only have a small scar on her cheek. She is going to see a plastic surgeon in a month to give us their opinion on if anything will ever need to be done.
Looks are truly the most important thing, and I am going to have my daughter look perfect. If that means she will have to have a face lift at 5, then so be it, even if that results in her looking like Joan Rivers. I am going to have my daughter in every creepy pageant contest there is, and I am going to have her dressed like a life-sized southern bell, with a fake tan, layers of unnatural make up, and porcelain verniers. I will spend every penny I own to fund this, in hopes that someday Maddie will be Miss Penitentiary. I know this will be a great bonding experience for us, as we compete against other girls, who are not as beautiful as my daughter. I know that it is harmless and only good clean fun. May the most gorgeous girl win (aka Maddie).
I told her not too look so sad in the picture.
She looks much happier in this one:
9 comments:
Wow, she is so brave! I am pretty sure they wouldn't have to put me out I would have passed out when they said stitches! She is so brave and beautiful!
Oh my goodness sweet girl. I did actually laugh hysterically when you wrote about what she said to the doctors though, that is such a Madison thing to do! :) You are so brave also Karine, I think that I would have lost it. We love you Madison!
Karine!! That is so scary! Looks like you all handled it very well. I hope Maddie continues to heal quickly. She is beautiful!
Holy cow I would have freaked out! I am glad she's ok. What a hilarious girl. AND she is adorable, scare or not.
That is so crazy girl, but I am glad that Madison is ok and doesn't have to get "Plastic Surgery" what are they thinking on a 4 yr old crazy... She was so brave though and healing well it looks like. You were so good to be calm.
Poor little thing. She is so brave. What a scary experience for her--and her mom and dad. She looks great though, and I think even without plastic surgery she could win Miss Selah!
Wow, what an all encompassing emotional experience. I have to say Maddie's declaration to the doctor's would have been fun to see. An amazing little girl for sure.
My goodness, what a crazy experience and a tramatic one at that. I am glad Maddie is better and you guys have recovered. I hope you guys are enjoying the beautiful weather and enjoying the start to your summer!
She has such a great personality!
Post a Comment