Friday, September 4, 2009

Weepy for Weeks...

Madison started kindergarten this past week, and I am pleased to announce that when I dropped her off for her first day that I did not shed a tear. Although, I must confess that I have done my mourning and grieving prematurely over the past couple weeks prior to her starting school. It wasn’t a pretty picture that is for sure, it included: rocking in a corner crying(okay a little exaggerated on that one, but I did cry excessively),eating mass amounts of chocolate (wish I were exaggerating that one, but my waistline will tell the truth), attacking poor unsuspecting Maddie with kisses and hugs every time she walked past me (I think she tried to find alternate routes to get around me), and having a montage in my brain of Madison from birth till now that played non-stop (mind you I only put good memories in this montage, which means all the time she was a little pill were edited from my memory. Needless to say the montage wasn’t too terribly long in length.)

While I was driving Madison to school she stated to me “mom, apparently this is going to be a very busy day.” I then retorted “Madison if you are already using vocabulary such as, apparently, and in context, I don’t think you need school at all.” At this point I almost justified to myself that she was smart enough, and didn’t necessarily need a “formal education.” All the while Maddie was looking at me like I had totally lost my mind, which in all honesty wasn’t too far from the truth.

She did very well on her first day, most mom’s are probably hoping their children weren’t scared or cry, I was more concerned with pressing matters, such as: she didn’t join a gang (or more thankfully didn’t START a gang), she wasn’t caught kissing a boy during recess, or start smoking under the bleachers (glad to hear her school doesn’t have bleachers.)

Madison was beaming when school was over and couldn't tell me the details of her day fast enough. Then she proclaimed to me “the teacher asked everyone to say their name and something interesting about themselves,” at this point I started to perspire, “what did you say?” I asked with fear and trepidation in a quaky voice. Madison replied, ‘oh, I just said my name is Madison, or you can call me Maddie Marie, and I love the video game Street Fighter 4!” I just stared at her with my mouth wide open and my eyes the size of saucers. “That is what you said? “ I asked, hoping she was being silly. Madison had a very mischievous look cross over her face, and then asked me “well, that is interesting, isn’t it mom?” Although, it was more of a statement opposed to a question.

Now, for some serious explaining before anyone calls CPS or thinks I am a terrible mother for letting my 5 year old daughter play Street Fighter 4, which is a game for 17 or older, and severely violent. Madison’s uncle Bryce loves to play his video games with her, but mind you, I thought they played his milder sports games with her. I guess this means I need to have a talk with Uncle, and that I actually need to pay attention to what my daughter is participating in. Don’t you hate when more parenting is the answer?

Well back from trying to justifying my parenting, or lack thereof. In conclusion Madison has a wonderful teacher, who is a member of our church (that way she can pray for Maddie’s soul from time to time). Her class is great, and she has 4 children in it from her previous preschool class. It was a smooth transition, and for that I am grateful.
Oh, the crazy roller coaster ride that we call motherhood…

Doesn't she look adorable. She picked out her own outfit, I couldn't be happier that it matched and was clean!

Off to school for and edumacation. Doesn't her backpack even make her look smarter?

Entering the school for the first time as a kindergartner. Mind you at this point I had Gibson on his monkey leash, and he was trying to bolt in the opposite direction. This made my supposedly special moment into a chaotic moment!


After school and feeling quite proud of herself, as she should!!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, Karine. It's as though we were all there watching with you. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful and interesting happenings in your family's life. We love you guys!

Goooooo Madison!!!

Aunt Anne

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

Now I'm the one crying in the corner copiously! (already ate the chocolate prior to reading your post). Thanks for the wonderful glimpse into Maddie's big day.

Why does it all have to fly by so quickly??

Here's to savoring every day!

teage-and-erin said...

Oh my goodness Ms Maddie!!!! I can't believe that she is old enough to go to school, it truly rocks my world a little bit. :) I am so proud of her, and you!

Sarady said...

Oh my gosh, I almost started crying. She is the cutest little kindy-gartner I've ever seen. Her hair looks adorable! And from the sounds of it, she probably doesn't need a formal education; she's got Street Fighter 4 keepin' her street smart.

teage-and-erin said...

If she started a gang, I would totally join!

Heidi said...

oh Karine!! I feel your pain! Sooo funny.... It all just goes by too fast. She looks so adorable. Today on the way home from a B-day party.... Brooke asked me if she saved up her allowance, if she could buy a bb gun... hello, I don't think I want her blowing out our neighbors windows at 5!

Karine said...

Heidi,
that is hysterical. Nothing puts more fear into my heart, than imagining Brook with a gun! That girl is a riot!
Karine

Janell said...

Maddie Marie, I'm so proud of you! You're so grown up and I miss you like crazy! Do me a favor, give that amazing mom of yours a hug from Ethan's mom! Tell her that she needs a vacation and should fly out to see me asap!! Sounds like shopping and pampering are in order STAT!

Love,

Ethan's mom

Hayley's Comment said...

She is such a funny character. I love her take on life!