Thursday, May 21, 2009

A healthy slice of "Humble Pie"...

Was there anything you swore that you would never do when you were a parent? Oh, I did, I actually had a list of things that I would NEVER let my children do or get away with. Of course I had these feelings prior to being a mom. It is interesting how time and humility can change a person. Let me illustrate.
One thing that used to drive me crazy was when I would see kids on child leashes. I always thought this was so barbaric, degrading, and basically a sign that the parents didn't have control of their little critters. Honestly every time I saw a child on a leash, I would cringe and think "there is no way I would put my child or myself through that!"


"Exhibit A" of Humble Pie:

Gibson is what you would term as a "bolter." He runs to the most dangerous areas full speed ahead. Therefore, I had to relent to purchase my son a leash.

Mind you in these pictures the street is closed off for our City's parade. We usually don't let Gibson play in on coming traffic. I know I am an incredible parent.



Don't you like how they manufactures of the "child leash" made it appear to be a monkey back pack. This is supposedly to save any further humiliation to the mother who swore she would never put her baby on a leash. I have come to a place where my want of Gibson's safety outweighs my pride, (like I said, I am an amazing mother, yes, and humble too.)



Here we have Corey, the doting father, who is desperately trying to "leash train" his off spring. Isn't it a beautiful and touching portrayal of a father's love. The cage training isn't going as smoothly (totally playing, sorry I always have to take it to the next level!)



May I have seconds of the humble pie please!! Another thing I swore was that no matter how many children or my circumstances, that I would always have an immaculate home. I always knew that I would keep things spic and span, and that I would train, there's that word again, my children to clean up after themselves immediately.

My plan was being executed beautifully, well until I had children, and then my home became a huge mess. I can't keep up with my children. I will be cleaning one corner of the room, and Madison and Gibson will be in the other corner of the same room destroying it faster than I can pick it up. My kids don't like to really play with toys, they like to dump things all over and watch crazy mom scamper like a roach and try and pick up their mess. I think they get some sick amusement out of my never ending grief! I really am trying to lighten up about my messy home, but it just goes against the grain for me.

Exhibit B of humble Pie:

The other day Gibson was quiet for about 3 minutes, red flag, red flag. When I found him this is what I discovered;

Gibson had poured the sugar and flour in its entirety. Also, I keep a piece of bread with the brown sugar, so that it won't harden, and Gibson was eating the bread from that container!
Doesn't he look extremely remorseful for what he has done!
Oh yeah, that is the look of a repentant child.



Even after I had caught him, he proceeded to play with the mixture to make some concoction.

The moral of this story is: if you ever find yourself judging someone's parenting skills, or lack thereof, STOP for all that is good and holy. For if you do not you will find yourself one day being served up your very own slice of fresh humble pie!




8 comments:

Rebecca and Nathan said...

I can't help but laugh, Gibson looks so stinking cute. I can't believe he is going to be two in just over two weeks! I miss you and your cute little family!

lisaann said...

I loved this post, because it happens (or should happen) to every parent. Thanks!

What I desperately need to know is a. how old that bread was and
b. did it make him sick?

He's so cute even when he does something naughty, I'd hate to see him get sick over it...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I do love your writing skills. Laci mentioned this evening how she loves reading your blog because you have such a talent at writing!! She's not kidding.. I think you should write a book! Fantastic!! I'm laughing and crying at the same time!!
xoxo Love Sister Groovy Grover

Sarady said...

This post had all of us, even Mya, cracking up. We loved the bread that he found, like it was a little treasure hunt. Oh, I'm so glad you got pictures of this. The leash is pretty hilarious too.

Janell said...

I'm laughing so hard that I can't see the computer screen clearly through my tears. Why are the cute one's always so naughty! I guess that's the trade off! I have been humbled too many times by things I swore I or my kids would never do (ie: cut each others hair, pee in water bottles, etc.) Clean house? I gave up on that years ago! You really know how to find the humor in everything..another quality I adore in you!

Hayley's Comment said...

I totally needed that entry today!

Mugs said...

Amen to that Karine! I had a lot of opinions about child rearing...and now I eat humble pie every day. :) Once your toddler breaks three bones and LOVES chicken nuggets, and you aren't able to breast feed beyond 6 weeks you start to UNDERSTAND. Loved your post! And loved the post about Maddie at the hospital!

midnight hysteria said...

i just love the pic of gibson w/his leash ... my twin grandsons (the minnesota bunch) are also *leashed* and it's WONDERFUL ... we took them to the fair (when i was there for three weeks) and the leashes worked perfectly -- we didn't worry about them running off -- in different directions hither and yon ... my daughter bought the teddy bears, like your monkey, one late night at target after fighting with them and she could not be more pleased, as is her husband ... thanks for the laughs ... darlene