Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Time Out for Mommy...


This weekend I had the privilege of going to Spokane for Time Out for Women. It is an amazing woman's conference with some of the most inspirational speakers and musicians within our Church. What made the experience even more wonderful was that I went with my mother and friend Erin.



I have to admit that I was apprehensive at first to be in Spokane, since that is where Jolene lived for the last6 months of her life, that is also where she left this life. Our hotel was only a few miles from Deaconess Hospital, (the hospital Jolene passed away in). Somehow though I feel Time OUT was supposed to transpire there. I think it is because every thing seemed to come full circle, and I felt I was able to have an Eternal perspective.



When my mom and Erin arrived in Spokane, the first thing we did was a session in the Spokane LDS Temple. I had never seen that Temple before, and it was ever so breathtaking. It is a mini temple, but the Spirit that resides there is anything but SMALL!! It was the perfect way to begin our weekend!



The first day was a life seminar that was limited to only 500 women. It was wonderful because it was a smaller more intimate setting. That way we were able to interact more with the speakers. Speaking of interacting with speakers, I had a lengthy conversation with Virginia Pearce (aka President Hinkley's daughter)! I also was able to meet Sherri Dew (for the second time) and speak with her as well. There is something to be said about meeting the people who you admire and inspire you. I think the reason why it is important is because you are able to see that they are REAL people like you and me. It helps me to feel like I can really achieve the desires of my heart, if I but put forth the effort. Their talks were literally life changing, and ultimately inspiring in every sense of the word.



That evening we went to a concert put on by Michael McClain. His music is beautiful and touches your soul in a way that words alone cannot. He is also extremely hilarious! I never knew that about him. He had the arena of women rolling! He performed some of his old songs, and some new ones. I don't think I have cried that hard in a long time. Every song he sang seemed to remind me of Jolene in some way or another. It was bittersweet, and I am grateful that I had my mother to comfort me. After his performance I was able to meet him. I spoke to him about the possibility of writing a song about Jolene. The thought of that gives me goose bumps! :)



The next day we had a full day of speakers, and musicians. To name a few: Mary Ellen Edmunds, Hillary Weeks, Mercy River, and many more. I don't think my hand will ever recover from taking 2 days straight of notes. My right hand is affixed in a claw position, in which I fear it will never fully straighten completely.



It was the BEST weekend. I left feeling absolutely rejuvenated spiritually. I feel as though I can take on the world, (and maybe even my family)! I feel that it helped me to strive to be a better woman, wife, mother, and Daughter of God. It was a life changing experience that I will never forget, and I hope to implement this wealth of knowledge into my own life. The only down fall was that, in the midst of these inspirational talks and music, we had little time for rest. I felt as though I was in Spiritual and knowledge overload, my brain actually hurt! Even several days after Time Out I was nursing a spiritual hangover! I don't remember the last time I had been so tired, but it was a good tired!



I am so grateful for Gospel, and the light, knowledge, and peace it brings into my life.


My mother and I outside the Temple.

Erin took this one of the Temple. It is sad when your friend knows how your camera functions better than you do!

My mom, me, and Erin. Hey mom, look at the birdie!

Virginia Pearce and I.

Here is Virginia and I again. We are tight yo. We are going to have a best friend handshake and everything! Is she not the cutest thing you have ever seen?

Sherri Dew and I. I know that she was quite honored to meet someone of my caliber. he, he!

Michael McClain and I. Do you like how my eyes are all red and swollen? I had to thank him for making me cry like a baby.


Erin and I on the last day. Don't we look all the wiser? :)







8 comments:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

sounds like an incredible weekend! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience. I'm not sure if it will be able to hold up to the spiritual experience we'll have this Easter weekend, with our thighs duct-taped together running around like mad men hopped up on hersheys and starbursts! You'd better blog that or I'm gwanna be so cranky!

Anonymous said...

Time Out is amazing. I went to one in Tacoma 2 years ago - they really do inspire you and help you realize you can do anything. I am sure it was even more special being there with Erin and your mom :-) A month or so ago Mary Ellen Edmonds was in our ward - in nowhere town Georgia :-) Her niece is our RS 1st counselor. It was fun to meet her.... Okay my novel is over :-) I love reading your updates.

The Johnson's said...

I hear there is one in Portland in the fall. I am thinking we need to make some plans to attend...

Stephanie said...

Yay for time away!!!! I'm so glad to hear you had a good time and are feeling spiritually refreshed.

Anonymous said...

Michael used to dispair when I would go to either a Women's Conference or a CES conference because I would come home so incredibly determined to get us all to the Celestial Kingdom! How he ever survived my attempts at self-betterment is beyond me! Poor man! It's too bad that they don't have time outs for guys as well.

Anne

Heidi said...

Karine!! How fun to see you guys, we'll have to settle for the blog pics. I love Time Out. I really learned a lot that I did not know when I went. Gibson is a hottie! but hey what do you expect comin from you and the Corey machine. I love your haircut! Looks like you guys are doing good. Loves back Heidi

Bailey Bunch said...

I am glad you guys had a great time at Time Out For Women. We went to a Womens Conference today in Tacoma but I am sure it was only 1/3 as good as what you guys went to. I love seeing all your pictures and updates. You family is very cute!:)

teage-and-erin said...

I just looked, and realized that I didn't even comment on this one! How silly of me!!! :) Well, you know how we are with all of our "extra" time, and mush for brains at the moment...I am surprised that I remembered to brush my teeth this morning! Anyway, I am so thankful to have gone to this with you....you are really such a wonderful friend to me, and I feel very blessed to have you as a twinner. Love you girl! :)