Friday, August 27, 2010

The name game...

I have had a lot of people ask me where I came up with Grayson's name, as it is a bit unique. First of all, anyone who know's me, knows that naming my children is an excruciating event. The reason for this is because I don't just want the name to sound nice and have my child like it when they are older, but more importantly I want their names to have a deep meaning.

Here is a break down of the meanings of their names:


Madison, means gift from Jehova. (This was especially poignant for Corey and I because prior to having Madison Specialist's told Corey and I that are chances of ever having children would be very slim. Therefore, we truly felt she was a gift from the Lord.)


Madison's middle name is Marie, which is my mother's middle name as well. My mom is one of my dearest friends and greatest example of love and sacrfice in my life. My mom gives eveything of herself to her children, and does it without expecitng praise or accolades.

Gibson is named after my sister's favorite Doctor, Dr. Gibson. Dr Gibson was a paramount person in Jolene's life. He empowered Jolene with her disease, and loved and cared for her through many trying years. Jolene adored him so much, that she wanted to name her first son after him. Unfortuantly, Jolene didn't have the opportunity to have children in this life, as she passed away before every being able to marry or have children of her own. I had Gibson one year after Jolene passed away, and I was honored to name my first son with the name that she held so dear.

Gibson's middle name is Stephen, which is Corey's middle name also. Stephen was a man full of faith and one of the Christina martyrs of the New Testament.

Grayson is named after my dad's brother Gary. If you switch the "a and the r" in Gary, you get the name Gray. I never met my Uncle Gary because he passed away in a trajic car crash when my father was only eight years old. Although, I never met Gary, I feel such a love and connection to him, and I look forward to meeting him when I leave this world.

Grayson's middle name is Jonathan which is my little brother Bryce's middle name too. Also, Corey's grandfather's name was John, and it was Jolene's best friend's name as well. Jolene's Jonathan had CF as well, and they spent most of their hospital stays together. They had a beautiful and unique relashionship. They always watched out for eachother, and they understood a world that none of us could truly every fully empathize with. Jonathan passed away one year prior to Jolene, and it literally broke her heart. It was a though a part of Jolene was gone and she often commented on how her heart ached for him. After Jolene's passing I could feel Jolene and Jonathan together quite often, reminding me that they were together and they were so happy and healthy. I was honored to recieve permission from Jonathan's family to do his temple work. It was one of the most incredible and spiritual moments of my life, and I will never forget it.

All of my children's names end with the word "son." This has particularly deep and spiritual meaning as it means the Son of God. In the scriptures it says to take the name of Christ upon you, and so we have literally put the "Son" into our chilren's names. There is no name that is greater than His.

Sorry that I completely went off on a tangent, but I wasn't kidding when I said that names our serious business for me.

Here are some pictures of our sweet little bundle...
















Thank goodness Grayson has a high tolerance for kissing, because that boy gets big wet smackers all day long!

5 comments:

Lena said...

That's really neat how much thought you put in your kids name. I like to give my kids names that inspire me or are significant too. I can't believe how much Madison looks like Jolene as she gets older, how neat. Grayson is lucky to have so many wet kisses each day!

teage-and-erin said...

Love them, love them, love them.....and they are so lucky to have such a sweet mother and father who take the time and effort to find a special name for them.

Swiss Family said...

I love all the names of your kids and the meanings behind them. You have an adorable little baby!!!! Your other two are very cute also. I'm glad you're doing so well!

Sarady said...

Yeehaw! A post! Great post!

I'm so glad you posted the meanings of their names. They will truly cherish their names!

Baby Grayson is adorable. So are little Gibbie and Madison. Heck, so are you and Corey. Love you guys!

Maria said...

Congratulations!! He is beyond adorable.