Growing up I always imagined that when I had a daughter that she would be dressed in fashionable and lovely clothes. I would think of how fun it would be to dress up my daughter like my own life size doll.
I feel so passionately about this because I love clothes fashion, AND through my years on this earth, I have seen some kids dressed pretty crazy, and I am not talking about poor children, there is a huge difference between someone who has less, than a child who dresses like a rodeo clown/miss matched little person.
Sometimes I would find myself staring at these children that were dressed so eccentrically, and pridefully I would think, "I would NEVER let my child go out in that get up."
Well I have found that the Lord does "humble" those who need humbling, and in this respect, I am one of them. God sent me a girl who is a firecracker and a half!
First and foremost, I could NEVER tell Madison what to wear. It is a battle I lost long ago. I tried for about 2 years to have her wear the fun and trendy clothes in her closet, but she will refuse to wear something I chose for her.
Next, I decided to give her a few options, such as "Madison you could wear these jeans with this sweater, or this skirt with this top," (this is what the parenting books said to do about power struggles with your kids). This brilliant idea went the way of the dodo bird, that would be, extinct. Madison NEVER liked my options, mainly because I was the one who came up with them.
Then, I thought, lets try reverse psychology. I would tell her she could wear anything to her hearts content, just as long as she didn't wear the new jeans with the new cardigan set. I would beg her not to wear them, all the while with a prayer in my heart that she would see it wasn't "my" choice, and put them on and go to preschool. Sadly, Madison is highly intelligent (dang-it) and saw right through my fashion facade. She would say "I will wear it tomorrow, and after hearing this line thousands of times, I have come to the harsh realization, that tomorrow will never come.
Just in case you think you have a suggestion of what might help, let me clarify that I have exhausted all options, here are some to give you closure:
pretending to cry because my feeling are hurt that she doesn't like the clothes I bought her, telling her over and over again about all the kids in the world that don't have any articles of clothing (to this she always retorts that she will help me box them up and ship them to those in need), charts that document progress (to this day she hasn't earned a sticker!), threats, psychology (in every form) begging, pleading, and finally giving up. (Don't judge me until you have walked in my shoes, which match by the way, unlike my daughters.
Through years, yes and tears, I have learned Madison's logic on this topic. I will give you the Madison rules of style:
First, you must never come close to matching. Your items must not mesh either with color or texture.
Second, never wear the new clothes. Wear the items that are at least 2 sizes too small, and if your mom hides or throws them away, magically resurrect them and wear them twice as much for payback.
Thirdly, if it makes mom cringe, makes her blood pressure go up a few points, make her eyes well up with tears (not of joy), you see your mother lock herself up in her room with her Ipod and a snicker bar for 15 minutes, then you have a keeper!
Fourth, pink sparkle shoes, and purple and pink polka dot rain boots go with everything. The neutral colored shoes should be immediately shipped to those children in Africa that my mom keeps ranting about.
Fifth, put as many obnoxious items together as possible.
Sixth, when in doubt let Boy George, Meatloaf (the singer not the entree), and princess Jasmin be your inspiration. They will provide a silent muse to the artistic statement you are trying to create.
Seventh, the kids at school that are matching and trendy, might be smiling on the outside, but they are dying on the inside. There creative force is begging to be unleashed.
Last, but never least, do not attempt to dress in season. That includes with style, era, or temperature.
Now that I finally have an understanding to what is going on in my daughters head, I have concluded that it really doesn't matter what she is wearing. More than anything now, I really get a kick out of what she puts on. It is fun to see how she chooses to express herself, even if it is hideous. I also, get the biggest kick out of watching others expressions. You would be amazed at how many adults stare, make comments, and look completely astonished.
Another pro with having your daughter dress like a drag-queen/elf, is that you are automatically a member of the "my kid dresses like that too" club (MKDLTT for short). When I randomly spot a child that is dressed like my Maddie, I instantly look at the mother of the child. The mother's eyes meet mine right after she spots Madison, and we have a kinship that will last forever. Spontaneously I have a new best friend, and member of the club MKDLTT, and I know that she understands a world, that only if you are apart of, can you fathom to comprehend.
Now the tale I have told you was founded on strife, adversity, and woe, but I have become stronger from this tragedy. I will press forward into the future with my sweet daughter (that will be dressed somewhat resembling a leprechaun/Yettie) whom I love more than anything, even fashion.
Madison, thank you for teaching me humility, patience, fortitude, and what really matters in life. And to think you taught me all these lessons by your zany sense of style. But mostly thank you for teaching me not to take myself so seriously. Love you, you silly girl whose always dressed in the brightest attire. I could NEVER lose you in a crowd!
I feel so passionately about this because I love clothes fashion, AND through my years on this earth, I have seen some kids dressed pretty crazy, and I am not talking about poor children, there is a huge difference between someone who has less, than a child who dresses like a rodeo clown/miss matched little person.
Sometimes I would find myself staring at these children that were dressed so eccentrically, and pridefully I would think, "I would NEVER let my child go out in that get up."
Well I have found that the Lord does "humble" those who need humbling, and in this respect, I am one of them. God sent me a girl who is a firecracker and a half!
First and foremost, I could NEVER tell Madison what to wear. It is a battle I lost long ago. I tried for about 2 years to have her wear the fun and trendy clothes in her closet, but she will refuse to wear something I chose for her.
Next, I decided to give her a few options, such as "Madison you could wear these jeans with this sweater, or this skirt with this top," (this is what the parenting books said to do about power struggles with your kids). This brilliant idea went the way of the dodo bird, that would be, extinct. Madison NEVER liked my options, mainly because I was the one who came up with them.
Then, I thought, lets try reverse psychology. I would tell her she could wear anything to her hearts content, just as long as she didn't wear the new jeans with the new cardigan set. I would beg her not to wear them, all the while with a prayer in my heart that she would see it wasn't "my" choice, and put them on and go to preschool. Sadly, Madison is highly intelligent (dang-it) and saw right through my fashion facade. She would say "I will wear it tomorrow, and after hearing this line thousands of times, I have come to the harsh realization, that tomorrow will never come.
Just in case you think you have a suggestion of what might help, let me clarify that I have exhausted all options, here are some to give you closure:
pretending to cry because my feeling are hurt that she doesn't like the clothes I bought her, telling her over and over again about all the kids in the world that don't have any articles of clothing (to this she always retorts that she will help me box them up and ship them to those in need), charts that document progress (to this day she hasn't earned a sticker!), threats, psychology (in every form) begging, pleading, and finally giving up. (Don't judge me until you have walked in my shoes, which match by the way, unlike my daughters.
Through years, yes and tears, I have learned Madison's logic on this topic. I will give you the Madison rules of style:
First, you must never come close to matching. Your items must not mesh either with color or texture.
Second, never wear the new clothes. Wear the items that are at least 2 sizes too small, and if your mom hides or throws them away, magically resurrect them and wear them twice as much for payback.
Thirdly, if it makes mom cringe, makes her blood pressure go up a few points, make her eyes well up with tears (not of joy), you see your mother lock herself up in her room with her Ipod and a snicker bar for 15 minutes, then you have a keeper!
Fourth, pink sparkle shoes, and purple and pink polka dot rain boots go with everything. The neutral colored shoes should be immediately shipped to those children in Africa that my mom keeps ranting about.
Fifth, put as many obnoxious items together as possible.
Sixth, when in doubt let Boy George, Meatloaf (the singer not the entree), and princess Jasmin be your inspiration. They will provide a silent muse to the artistic statement you are trying to create.
Seventh, the kids at school that are matching and trendy, might be smiling on the outside, but they are dying on the inside. There creative force is begging to be unleashed.
Last, but never least, do not attempt to dress in season. That includes with style, era, or temperature.
Now that I finally have an understanding to what is going on in my daughters head, I have concluded that it really doesn't matter what she is wearing. More than anything now, I really get a kick out of what she puts on. It is fun to see how she chooses to express herself, even if it is hideous. I also, get the biggest kick out of watching others expressions. You would be amazed at how many adults stare, make comments, and look completely astonished.
Another pro with having your daughter dress like a drag-queen/elf, is that you are automatically a member of the "my kid dresses like that too" club (MKDLTT for short). When I randomly spot a child that is dressed like my Maddie, I instantly look at the mother of the child. The mother's eyes meet mine right after she spots Madison, and we have a kinship that will last forever. Spontaneously I have a new best friend, and member of the club MKDLTT, and I know that she understands a world, that only if you are apart of, can you fathom to comprehend.
Now the tale I have told you was founded on strife, adversity, and woe, but I have become stronger from this tragedy. I will press forward into the future with my sweet daughter (that will be dressed somewhat resembling a leprechaun/Yettie) whom I love more than anything, even fashion.
Madison, thank you for teaching me humility, patience, fortitude, and what really matters in life. And to think you taught me all these lessons by your zany sense of style. But mostly thank you for teaching me not to take myself so seriously. Love you, you silly girl whose always dressed in the brightest attire. I could NEVER lose you in a crowd!
Here are some pictures from the last couple years of Madison's outfits. Mind you, this isn't even a fraction of the clothes that she wears out at about, enjoy!

This picture was taken in Leavenworth last year. I don't know what is scarier, the Gone with the Wind life size doll she is standing next to, or Madison's jean/dress ensemble. This was the last time Maddie wore jeans. Maybe the doll did some wacky voo-doo on her.
This picture may look normal to you, but just keep in mind it is about 40 degrees outside. It doesn't matter what the weather, Maddie is always in a skirt with no tights....ugh!
Here we have Maddie in her Christmas dress from 2 years ago (seriously I don't know where she dug it up from), and to top off the ensemble, she paired it with her Team CF T-shirt from the walk-a-thon. Daring but classic.


Um yeah, this is pretty much every mother's worst nightmare. My 4 year old not only dressing like a Bratz doll, but with the attitude of one as well! God help me.
Another one of Madison's rules: accessories are the breath of life, and should be worn plentiful to the point that your neck should begin to ache, due to the weight of the strain of the cervical muscles.This day Madison chose to make a pretty poignant statement by finally wearing tights, but making the daring risk of tucking the tights into the dress. The cowgirl boot give it the perfect and subtle touch that this outfit is trying to convey.
16 comments:
I had a really good laugh at the Bratz picture and the dress tucked into the tights. That girl is awesome. Love you, Maddie Moo (as Mya would call her).
I'm not trying to minimize your pain, but I think Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen would be very proud to call Maddie their friend, mainly because of her cutting edge fashion sense.
Love,
Another fashion challenged victim
You just made my day with this post! You made me laugh and everybody needs a good laugh! Thank you Karine and I'm sorry...I love all the pictures!
Karine,
This post made me laugh soooooo hard. This is so well written and so hilarious. I loved your side comment about not judging you until we've walking in your shoes "which match" by the way....that was awesome. What a funny, cute little girl!!
Oh my goodness, I am cracking up right now! GREAT POST Karine!!! :) I love that girl, she is just such a fire ball. And I agree with Sarah on the Mary Kate and Ashley bit....they should hire her right away!
So funny Karine! She definitely has her own style:) That is great you let her do her own thing. The, "do you want to wear this or this" works great with Landon because he could really care less about clothes. He is happy as long as he gets to run around for at least an hour with nothing else on but his superman underwear.:)
She will grow up to be a fashion icon! Whitney was like this and wore a tutu to the movie theatre and I almost died (being a 12 year old). But now she is a 23 year old working in the fashion industry and doing a dang good job! Just wait!
Karine, I love this post! I am starting to have the same problem with Brooke, why do I even bother buying her cute clothes when she won't wear them. It has just become a power struggle that I won't win. Today she tore the buttons of a new outfit because she didn't want to wear it. Good times. Madison is just a trend setter.... :)
Karine
I have lived your pain! Brian lived in rubber boots and bright green sweat pants that said Sonics down one side (oh, and don't forget the huge hole in the knee) for about three years. He also loved the rubber boot/shorts ensemble.
My coping mechanism was to prominently place photographs of Brian at an age (18 months and younger) when I had control of his fashion. This showed that 1) I was a cool mom who let him make his own choices, but 2) that I did have taste when it came to dressing my child. Keep those photos in your living room and lots in your wallet! They can totally save your rep.
I LOVE MADDIE!!!!!
Oh, my dearest Karine. I really need to check your blog every day. I literally belly laughed through the whole thing. I have to say...I think this is one of my favorite posts. It is one that we will have to showcase at Maddie and Ethan's wedding. Ah heck, I'm just going to call you. You better answer your phone!
Derek was famous for wearing shorts, (his favorites being his army camo pair)and his cowboy boots! It was a look that frankly worked for him! Mr. GQ from the very beginning!
Hang in there, girl!
Aunt Anne
She definitely has a style ALL OF HER OWN. I love it. What amazing confidence you are letting her build by allowing her to wear her own crazy creations!!!! You are a great mom. She's lucky to have you :-)
I worship you girl. How do you do it. I will pray for you so you don't have a heart attack. She does have a deffent style of her own. I love this post. If there is any thing I can do let me know. Keep your head up girl I know that you can. PS we so miss you guys. We want to come play with you. Just think thought you can always give it back to here in her teens or even later. And all you have to say is you did it not me
I laughed out loud so many times reading this!!!!! You have a talent for writing! Oh my gosh, I'm still catching my breath. That was so hilarious. All the different methods you've tried, and the phrases, like "drag queen / elf!" .... thanks for the laughs!
~Jen
Hey girl! Just had to say......NICE HEADER! :) Love ya!
My mom has a picture of me walking in her stilettos, butt naked, down the street... I have always loved shoes.
You (and Maddie) are hilarious! Thanks for this post, it made me laugh so hard!
She is so cute! At least she wears clothes. Which is more than I can say for Dallin.
Post a Comment