Monday, September 29, 2008

A nice get away...

Corey has started a new tradition for us. He has decided that every year on Jolene's birthday he will give ME a gift. I think this is awesome, but somehow I have a feeling Jolene isn't too pleased about the idea. Anyone who knows Jo, and how her birthday is to be all about HER, would understand where I am coming from! All in all I hope Jolene will humor me, and let me be spoiled on her special day.

This year for Jolene's birthday, Corey decided to fly me out to Philly (all by myself I must add). Corey knew how badly I wanted to go back east to help one my dearest friends, Janell, after she had her 3rd baby. Her husband, Jeff, is a full-time dental student, and her oldest is 4. Needless to say she has her hands full, and I desperately wanted to be there for her.

The time I had in Philadelphia was awesome. I was able to spend quality time with Janell and her amazing family, see some of my other friends that I have missed, and do some sight seeing as well. Sadly, even though I was there for a good portion of time, it didn't feel like enough. I think that is because Janell and I never get sick of one another, well she might have a different opinion of that than me!

Janell's children are like my own. I can't get enough of them. I had a blast playing and snuggling with them. I especially loved getting to know baby Brooklyn. She is a perfect angel, like her siblings.

It broke my heart to leave her family all over again. The time that we lived back east was such a special time for our family, not only because of all the amazing places to see, and the picturesque beauty, but mostly because of the relationships that we were able to forge there. I know that we were to live there, probably primarily because of the friendships that we will now take with us into the eternities.

This is a hard post for me because it is hard to express how I feel for Janell and her family. It might seem silly and trite, but somehow it is as if we were lead to their family.

We had lived in Philadelphia but a month before Jolene passed away. Our little family flew back to Washington to be with Jo before she passed and to stay for the services. Corey had to go back to our new home pretty quickly due to work, but I couldn't bring myself to leave Washington. I had no idea how I was going to go back to Philadelphia where I hardly knew anyone ( Janell and I were only briefly acquainted at this time). It took me almost a month to conjure up the strength and courage to leave my family and all that I knew, to go Back East with Madison. Even then I didn't know how I was going to keep it together. With Corey's new job he traveled all over the East Coast, and was rarely home. No one really knew me there, and no one knew Jolene and how much she meant to me. The loneliness and ache in my heart were indescribable. Amidst all of this, I had faith that Heavenly Father knows me personally, and that he would ultimately take care of me. I didn't know how it was going to work out, but some how it would.
I hadn't been home in Philly but a day, when Janell called me and invited our family over for dinner. Janell took the time to get to know me, and not only that but she had a true desire to know who Jolene was and is to me. Thus, was the beginning, as some say, of a beautiful friendship.
Pretty quickly we came to realize how it was as if she and I were broken from the same mold, scary some might think, but how perfect for us! We share so many things in common, especially a sense of humor, and anyone who knows how crazy I am will know how extraordinary that feet truly is.
I did not intend to make this post a mushy soliloquy of why I adore Janell, bur somehow my emotions got the better of me. I don't know how to describe it, yet I feel as though when Jolene left this earthly life, her spirit then guided me to Janell, knowing the impact and friend she would be to me. In many ways Janell is so very much like a sister to me, what a tender mercy.
Some of you might wonder, "Why didn't you just write a letter to Janell, instead of pasting it on your blog?" My reasoning is this; Janell is a person that has a lot on her plate. She has a young family, a husband whom is in dental school, she is a YW President of her ward, ext. Although, somehow she found the courage and energy to help someone in need. I think too often we feel we have too much going on, to really reach beyond ourselves. I know that any of us, if we had the desire, could go out of our comfort zone and help someone in need. Do it for the right reasons, not to help a "charity case," but to help one of Heavenly Father's sons or daughters whom our struggling.
I hope I can learn this beautiful lesson that was implemented by Janell, but the greatest example of us all, the Savior. May we ever be striving to build up his kingdom on Earth, and to lift those who are struggling.

PS I must confess I didn't plan for this post to be so long. I originally was going to post a few pictures. Sadly, I would have more pictures to post, but unfortunately my camera spazzed out after my trip and I lost ALL my photos! How depressing is that?? Here are a few from Janell's camera.


I forgot to mention that Janell is also a part-time limo driver to help with tuition costs. She picked me up from the airport, just as she does with all her "important" clients. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that she brought her Honda instead of a Limo, I almost got back on the plane and went home. I was completely offended! :)



We went to Amish Country with some of our friends just so we could go to an Amish Smorgasbord for breakfast. It is the most amazing food ever. Boy, those Amish can cook. If I am ever terribly rich, I will buy an Amish person to be my personal chef, that is if they are for sale.

Janell, Melia, Anastasia, and me at a Lake for Labor Day. I love these girls. Can you believe they are all almost 6 feet tall. They make me feel like a total shrimp!


Janell and I. Love ya girl and miss ya girl!

6 comments:

The Beagleys said...

What a wonderful blessing true friends are!!! I do emphasize "true" friends, because they can be hard to find! What a sweet gift from your hubby and what a sweet tradition...Corey seriously gets husband points! ;)

Mugs said...

Karine, Jolene would be pumped about this sweet post, even if it was her b-day. I totally believe you, that your sister had a hand in growing this happy friendship that you have. I'm so glad you were able to help Janell, and that you chose to honor her on your blog. Good friends are some of our greatest "treasures" -- Sarah is that for me.

Speaking of friends...I look forward to meeting you in person someday.

Happy Birthday to the amazing, the one and only, Jolene.

Karine said...

Camille,
It is so funny that I actually have not met you, but I feel I know you so implicitly through others.
I know we have a lot in common, being that we both love Jolene and Sarah, but then again who doesn't?? All in all, I am sure we would be instant besties! :)

Janell said...

You must think I'm a total jerk for not commenting yet. The last time I pulled up your blog, I specifically remember saying a cuss word in my head out of frustration because you had not posted something new. I look so forward to your posts so when I pull it up and see that it hasn't been updated, I always get so bummed. Anyway, I just checked it again for the 1st time in a week and saw that you posted. I was about ready to pop some popcorn so I could sit down and read the show when I noticed after skimming through it that I saw my name in your post. Karine, that post was so undeserved. You have been a much better friend to me then I have been to you. You, too, came into my life when I needed it the most and my life is now forever changed. Thanks againg for spending your gift on Jolene's behalf flying all the way out to nowhere PA to help me. It truly was a perfect visit! We miss you like crazy already! Can't wait till we can do it again! Love you more!
Janell

Sarady said...

Karine,

What a beautiful post! You have a great way with words and expressing your emotions. I truly felt the love you have for Janell and the love she has for you in reading this. I am so glad that Heavenly Father (and Jolene) orchestrated such a wonderful friendship for you both to have for eternity.

Love you,
Sarah

Mugs said...

So it's agreed! We are long distance buds. :)