
My little sister Jolene passed away last year. It has been an extremely difficult loss for me because we were not only sisters, but we were the dearest of friends. We have had such an amazing bond since she came into my life when I was 4 years old. And I can say even after losing her our bond continues and I know that it will continue into the eternities. I can feel how involved she still is in not only my life ,but in my children's lives as well. Jolene was a light in my life as she was in the lives of so many others. She was optimistic and loved life, even when she was in a great deal of pain. I have come to truly see, that no matter what are situation or difficulties we are given in this life, we can still become the person our Father in Heaven wants us to be, and we can strengthen the lives of others as well. I was blessed to spend the last 3 days of Jolene's life by her side. Jolene had no idea why her family had all come from across the country to be with her in the hospital. She didn't realize that we had received phone calls from frantic nurses telling us to come as quickly as possible. None of us knew that she was so near death, not even her. When Jolene found out why the family had come she was upset at first. She felt as though we were giving up on her. She thought we had lost faith that she could survive. She was so distressed that she asked for some time alone to pray and understand what was going on. After turning to her Heavenly Father, she knew that it was time for her to return home. Jolene was so excited to embark on her new journey. The last two days of her life she was completely herself. She had the entire family laughing and reminiscing of our childhood. Those last few days were the most sacred and beautiful moments of my life. On July 8'th at 10:15 am, Jolene took her last breath. She was surrounded by a family that utterly adored her, and a sister that held onto her as her spirit left mortality. There is nothing more spiritual and sacred than holding a loved one as they pass into the next life. My heart was broken for me and knowing how much I would miss her, but at the same time my heart soared at the thought of her not having anymore physical limitations or pain. Jolene is very busy with her work on the other side, that I am sure of. And now I am busy with a work that I have to do, and that is to write her story. I believe her life and experiences can help others to have a more eternal perspective.
I am so humbled to have her as my sister, and I thank my Father in Heaven for that every day.

Jolene and I napping the day before she passed away...

7 comments:
You were a light in Jolene's eyes as well. You could see how much she looked up to her older sister. What a special relationship and bond you will have to hold for the rest of your life on this earth and into eternity.:) Jolene is and always will be so loved! You are a wonderful sister!
Wow, that was a truly touching entry. Thanks so much for sharing. Her life story would be amazing to read!
Beautifully said! I can't wait to read the whole thing! See you soon, really soon. :)
Karine
I was really touched by your entry today. It really puts life into perspective when you see people go through such hard times, but that they pull through it together with the love of family and friends. Is the story of Jolene the book that your writing? If so, I'd love to read it when you're done. You have a way with words. Thanks for sharing this and Jolene with us.
Dayna
I too loved reading this entry.
Jolene's life is a beautiful 'story' and I am sure many would be inspired by reading it. From reading your many comments you can be sure you already have a group of people eager to read her life's story. Who better to inspire such a book as your little sister.
I love and miss her.
Wow that definetly put tears in my eyes. What an amazing thing you were able to do not only for her but for others, and what a great donation. You guys have touched many lives and so did Jolene.
Post a Comment